Hillbilly Zen – Temporary InZenity

images (1)More often than I care to admit, my inner hillbilly overcomes my attempted Zen. Today was a prime example.  One of the blogs I follow is Week Woman, which features feminist topics.  I’ve found some other feminist writing to be strident and accusatory, much like a revival preacher in all-out “hellfire and brimstone” mode. That’s not the case with Week Woman, whose posts are well written, containing healthy doses of irony and wit.  Today’s post, “No More Silencing”, really got me stirred up.  I mean full tilt, righteously indignant, panties in a knot, screeching like a howler monkey stirred up.  It was hillbilly vs Zen, and hillbilly opened up a Costco-sized can of whupass.  Poor Zen never stood a chance.

Normally when I post a comment it’s with the feelings of the author in mind.  I try to be complimentary (but only if I mean it), and/or funny.  I was neither in my reply to “No More Silencing”.  I was wound up tighter than an 8-day clock and more concerned with what I had to say than how it sounded.  I suppose I thought it was implied that I agreed with her post.  In this state of complete self-absorption, however, I inadvertently offended the author, who understandably thought my scathing comments were directed at her.

I didn’t realize my error until I read her reply to my comment, in which she calmly and surgically cut me off at the knees.  I apologized immediately, which was the least I could do. The most I can do at this point is to ask those who read this to click on the links above.  Best case scenario is added readers for her blog, bestest case scenario is an “Aha!” moment for those who read her post.

I could blame it on menopause or too much caffeine or rusty blogging skills, but ultimately I can only blame myself for offending her.  I meant every word of my reply, but my diatribe was directed at the subject of the post, not the author.  I am deeply sorry for my failure to make that clear.  So readers, please visit the links above, and hopefully the author will come to see that although I am sometimes an ill-tempered old heifer, I’m not a complete ass.

6 Comments (+add yours?)

1. masqua
    Mar 19, 2013 @ 20:02:45

Neither one of you are.

Mr Burns and Gollum cross rotflmao… really, that was funny.

On topic with a slant: I’ve been a moderator on a very busy discussion board for nearly 10 years and can say with absolute authority that misunderstandings are legion on a daily basis. How this went down is cookie cutter resolution of the swiftest variety because often it carries on for many more posts.

So that’s to your benefit.

As to pubic hair, it’s all about how we relate to our lovers, isn’t it? It certainly isn’t any business of main stream media and that they decided to touch on it shows that their focus is less on worthy news items and more on mere titillation.

If anyone really cared how I accommodate my lover’s preferences when it comes to the short and curlies, then THEY have a serious problem.

• hillbillyzen13
      Mar 19, 2013 @ 20:40:14

Thank you, Antonie. I screwed up, plain and simple, in not making it clear that my little hissy fit was about the ridiculousness of the topic, not the opinion of the author. Thank you for your wise, kind words. I’m glad you liked the Mr. Burns/Gollum thing😉

2. Shoeful of Drool
    Mar 19, 2013 @ 22:57:55

I have a sharp tongue, but a good heart. I will look at the above links because I like feminist topics (being of the feminine persuasion) and I bet you’re being harder on yourself than you should be.

3. Shoeful of Drool
    Mar 19, 2013 @ 22:58:51

Oh my, I haven’t clicked a link yet and see shades of Clarence Thomas.

4. Shoeful of Drool
    Mar 19, 2013 @ 23:12:33

My 3rd glass of wine notwithstanding, I thought your response made more sense than her post and your mea culpa was sincere. I swear (and it may be the 3rd glass of wine) I couldn’t figure out her stance on pubic hair or even that it was about pubic hair! True, many things I thought were settled in 1965 have reared their ugly heads of late and that scares the hell out of me!

• hillbillyzen13
      Mar 19, 2013 @ 23:36:11

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to finally laugh about this. When I win the lottery I shall make sure that you have your own personal wine-filled swimming pool. Your third glass of wine notwithstanding, her blog is really very good, keeping readers well informed on feminist issues. I had no idea there was such a hoopla about, as Antonie so succinctly stated, “short and curlies”. Like you, I”ve noticed that previously settled dust seems to be rising again. What terrifies me is that this new generation of feminists are going to ignore the impending tempest because they’re too busy getting a Brazilian.

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Contizental

500 words or less

the_tovarysh_connection

Gentle Reminders

On The Heath

where would-be writer works with words

Jnana's Red Barn

A Space for Work and Reflection

smilecalm

Life through mindful media

Just A Crazy Dreamer

Simply sharing my craziness & hoping its infectious enough to spread

All Romance Reads

Get Your Swoon On

Tipsy Lit

the publishing imprint of author ericka clay

Ericka Clay

poet and author

Ginger's Grocery

Come on in and browse. The biscuits were made fresh this morning, the Slush Puppie machine was just refilled with a new bottle of red syrup, and we have the biggest selection of bait this close to town.

Waggin' The Tale

Love Stories About Dogs

The Good, Bad and Ludicrous

Examining the Ordinary and Extraordinary

THE COASTAL CRONE

Tales, Trails & Connections to Almost Anything

the wind horse blog

horse tales, heart songs, healing

Apple Pie and Napalm

music lover, truth teller, homey philosophy

jhubner73

Midwestern groaning since 2011

Me and the Boss 2013

Motivation and life......lived and loved one day at a time.

Sufey

Inhale Joy, Exhale Gratitude

Automattic

Making the web a better place

All These Horrors and more

NOTES ON A DISINTEGRATING WORLD

Moments of Zen

A Student of Nature

1pointperspective

NOT just another WordPress.com site

Geo Sans

“right answer, wrong question”

Shoeful of Drool

Adventures of Louie and his friends

Likeitiz

Do come and chat with me about life's twists and turns. We will laugh, cry, question, commiserate, disagree, but in the end, we will become friends.

seapunk2

MUSINGS & AMUSINGS

rachelmankowitz

The Cricket Pages

dlightblog

non potete fare affidamento sui vostri occhi se la vostra immaginazione è fuori fuoco (mark twain)

Radical Totality

an experimental creative laboratory by Mark Snyder

mlewisredford

almost indefatigable and quietly militant naïveté ...

Chris Martin Writes

Sowing seeds for the Kingdom

Humbled Pie

Southern Livin' and Travelin', mostly photographed with some Home Cookin' and only slightly embellished Storytellin'

Wandering through Time and Place

Exploring the world with Curtis and Peggy Mekemson

Kristen Lamb's Blog

We Are Not Alone

The Daily Post

The Art and Craft of Blogging

Masako and Spam Musubi

Short Stories about World War II. One war. Two Countries. One Family

Army Of Awesome People

Named by Google as one of the sites on the internet

Janna Hill

Just living outloud and flinging cake against the wall...

Mythic Bios

Writing weird stories, strange articles, creative reviews, and learning along the way. Expect updates every Monday or Thursday.

lovinchelle

LIVING LIFE AND TAKING PICS ALONG THE WAY.

undeaddad

explorations of mindful fatherhood

bussokuseki

fatherhood, zen, and the buddha's footprints in an everyday life

%d bloggers like this: