For people with a full quota of self confidence, sharing themselves comes easily. For the rest of us it can be a real struggle. No matter how much encouragement comes from family and friends, there’s always that hesitation to reveal inner truths. Ironically, sometimes it’s family and friends who planted that doubt in the first place, but that’s a topic for another post. When we take that first chance with words on a page, photographs, paint, sculpture or music it’s terrifying. Even though it becomes a bit easier with each successive effort, we tell ourselves it doesn’t matter if anyone likes our work or not. We lie. It matters a whole honkin’ lot. So to be recognized as a peer by someone whose opinion we respect is a wonderful thing.
That’s what’s happening here. lovinchelle, whose blog is one of my very favorite places to be and who is one of my very favorite people, nominated me for The Liebster Blog Award. Some folks don’t care for these awards and that’s cool, but I think they’re great. Will they enhance a resume? Nope. Will they increase income? Nah. Will they improve my love life? Not so much. What they do is whup the tar out of a creative person’s inherent insecurity. They allow us a Sally Fields “You really like me!” moment. They’re also the gift that keeps on giving, introducing us to fellow bloggers we might have missed otherwise. By participating, we have the opportunity to experience the inner truths of others, to be one of the voices who offer encouragement. We can make our little blogosphere a better place, and maybe learn a thing or two about ourselves and our universe in the process.
Here’s the deal:
Liebster Blog Award Rules:
1. Each person must post 11 things about themselves.
2. Answer the questions that the tagger has set for you plus create 11 questions for the people you’ve tagged to answer.
3. Choose 11 people and link them in your post.
4. Go to their page and tell them.
5. No tag backs!
(I’m going to mix this up a bit and answer lovinchelle’s questions first. My coffee hasn’t kicked in yet, so I’m taking the path of least resistance.)
1. Favorite thing to do? – Fishing
2. Ideal job – Turning my farm into an agri-tourism destination
3. Whats one thing you wear that probably needs to be thrown away? – A pair of ratty old toe socks
4. Do you work well with others? – Usually
5. Whats your mental age?(kid at heart?) – Hard to say – sometimes I feel incredibly old, but I still laugh when my dogs fart, so….six-ish?
6. Have you ever worked in a restaurant ? – Good golly yes, off and on, either as primary or secondary income for over 30 years
7. What do you like to eat? – Pretty much anything, and I’ve got the hips to prove it
8. Do you prefer outdoors or in? – Out, definitely
9. Could you survive without internet or cell phone? – Absolutely
10. What time is it? – 10:00 a..m. – time for another cup of coffee
11. Di d you groan or smile when you read the rules for this award? – Both
Eleven things about myself, otherwise known as TMHI (Too Much Hillbilly Information):
1.) My favorite breakfast is pancakes and sausage on a stick and hazelnut coffee
2.) More often than not I prefer the company of critters over humans
3.) If the lottery gods ever smile upon me, one of my first expenditures will be opening an elephant rescue
4.) I studied pre-law in college (back when dinosaurs roamed the earth)
5.) I’m not a big fan of organized religion or political parties
6.) I’m a huge fan of margaritas on the rocks
7.) My favorite song is Janis Joplin’s version of “Me & Bobby McGee”
8.) I’m a sucker for kids, critters and old folks
9.) I believe that pantyhose were invented by the Devil himself
10.) I smoke like a chimney when I’m writing
11.) I do not suffer fools gladly
And now for my nominees:
Here is my list of questions for them to answer:
1.) When did you discover your talent?
2.) Who gave you the most encouragement to develop your talent?
3.) Have you thanked the person from question #2?
4.) Do you work better on sunny days or rainy ones?
5.) What’s your favorite beverage to drink while working?
6.) Favorite comic strip?
7.) Do you prefer to be on dry land or on/in the water?
8.) Do you speak more than one language? (Yes, Klingon counts!)
9.) If you could re-live one day in your life, which one would you choose?
10.) What’s your favorite quote?
11.) If you were offered the ability to fly, but only by becoming a buzzard, would you do it?
Okey dokey, nominees, have at it. Remember, there’s no pressure here. If you decide this isn’t your cup of tea, it’s all good, but I encourage you to participate. It’s turned out to be very enlightening and rather fun.
This award is a little more complicated, logistics-wise. Eleven is a big number when answering or asking semi-personal questions and making notification visits. The only really easy part was picking that many nominees, so if any of these folks choose not to participate, don’t be a hater – visit their blogs anyway. They’re that good.
Speaking of that good, thanks again to lovinchelle for being the wonderful soul that you are.